Burp/Belch/Eructation is an act of releasing air that is stored on the upper tract of the alimentary canal, ie – Esophagus, Fundus of the stomach via oropharynx, or in plain terms via the mouth. It becomes a mess, when we burp most of the times, the air has to pass through different pharyngeal structures, it creates annoying noises. Sulfur Burps is not something that is socially acceptable.
I burp a lot, Is burping Healthy?
Yes, it is completely normal to burp. An average human burps more than around 300,000 burps in his/her lifetime. Burp helps to release intra-abdominal pressure that is present inside the gut. Burping aids in better and healthy digestion.
However frequent burp, even hours after meals can be indicative of some underlying pathology. Do consult with your doctor if this is the case.
What causes Sulfur Burps?
There are mainly three reason why you are getting sulfur burps a lot-
- Food Habits – Protein is made up of Amino acids. And one of the key components of amino acid is Sulphur. So taking a diet rich in protein is indirectly resulting in Sulphur burps.
- Beverages – Aerated beverages and Alcoholic beverages have lots of carbon dioxide in them.CO2 has got a special property of being soluble only under pressure. When they reach our stomach, they experience a decrease in overall pressure and as a result, they get insoluble, resulting in Burps.
- Medical Conditions – It may be associated with the underlying gastrointestinal causes. Sulfur burps are common in the case of GERD(Gastroesophageal reflux disease). I would highly recommend that you discuss your issue with a gastroenterologist to assess your symptoms. When a person suffers from a gastrointestinal disorder there are even chances that it may give rise to sulfur smelling burps.
- If you are having sulfur burps, diarrhea, and vomiting, please consult with a nearby medical center.It may be indicative of any underlying infection which may cause perforation in the alimentary canal if left untreated for long.
- Other causes may be a food allergy, Bacterial infection, or diabetic drugs.
What foods cause sulfur burps?
Try to identify the last meal you had, when you have the next episode of Burps. The main underlying cause of odor like I said before is none other than hydrogen sulfide. In addition to Hydrogen Sulfide, methane has a minor contribution to overall odor.
Foods you need to avoid –
1)Vegetables rich in sulfur – Cabbage,Garlic,Sprouts, Broccoli,Cauliflower
2)Drinks – Coffee,Coke,Beer
3)Even dry fruits like Cashew Nut, Almonds, Walnut are rich in sulfur content
Beside this if you are lactose intolerant,try to avoid milk.
Why my Burp smells so bad?
The air inside the stomach is mainly a mixture of Nitrogen, Oxygen, methane, and Hydrogen Sulfide gas(H2S) which provides it with a characteristic odor. It is the ratio of various gases present which gives it a characteristic odor. The rotten egg smell is owing to Hydrogen Sulfide gas.
So if your burp smells so bad, all thanks to your diet. Your diet may be rich in protein or sulfur. In addition to diet, it is quite possible that you may be suffering from oral health. You can test it by blowing your breath over your palm in normal condition. If you can still feel odor, it may be your oral health that is affected.
How to get rid of Sulfur Burps?
I would highly suggest you meet with a gastroenterologist. However, there are a couple of things you can try-
1)Change Your Lifestyle – The majority of diseases today are due to the way humans are evolving there lifestyle. Late night dinner disturbs the entire circadian rhythm.
2)Decrease Egg Intake – Eggs have been found to increase incidents of Sulfur burps.
3)Honey– Drink honey mixed with hot water every morning. This can definitely help in aiding digestion. It also prevents the stomach lining from getting degenerated and hence Sulfur burps.
4)Drink a lot of water – I may sound a lot like a kindergarten teacher but believe me, this is the best remedy anyone can suggest to you. water helps in clearing alimentary passage thereby providing easy passage of gases.
The Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES) is weak in the case of the baby. So an increase in abdominal pressure can cause trouble. In this case, an assisted baby burp is helpful. Baby burp helps in relieving the baby from extra-abdominal pressure by the flow of air. Try to burp the baby after every ounce of feeding.
If a child is suffering from lactose intolerance, the situation can even worse. In this case, symptoms decrease significantly within 2-4 weeks after the elimination of cow’s milk protein from the diet.
How to burp a baby?
Try to give small gaps between feed-time. Try switching their sides. If the baby is more than 2months old, hold her/him in a semi-upright position, and gently lay their head on your shoulder. Even now if the baby is unable to burp or If you want to burp a sleeping baby – lay baby on your lap on his/her belly and try with gentle tap or rub until burp comes out. It is quite possible that your baby may awaken because of gas. Burping will put him or her back to sleep.
Did you like this article? Take quiz on your health to find out more.